On Tuesday evening, Jim and I decided we would stay up after midnight, and watch an old favorite movie of his: The Twilight Zone. This particular episode is about a bank clerk Hector B. Poole who develops telepathic powers after tossing a coin in a bucket for the newspaper vendor. This coin miraculously stood on its edge. Because of how the coin landed, he discovers the positive and negative of listening in on other peoples thoughts, plans and fantasies. After 20 minutes of him knowing what others were thinking: a new girlfriend, his boss, and an old timer; he was walking down the street and met up with the newspaper vendor again. He tossed a coin in the bucket and the coin landed flat. He listened to hear what others passing by were thinking; and he was no longer able to know their thoughts. This of course, can only happen: in the Twilight Zone.
Well, after watching that late, late show (1:00 am), I chuckled to myself and thought back when our son, was three or four years old and he went through a stage of about 3-6 months, where he thought, I should know what he was thinking. I realize that moms and dads are very important, and are the first ones in their lives whom they trust and love; but, our little guy was asking for the impossible. I would try and stress to him, that no one but God can know what we are thinking. He would try and argue with me that I did know what he was thinking. Very humorous now, and let me share a side note: I wish I could have read his mind when he went through his teen and college years, but I know God was protecting him and me.
So with the twilight movie and our son, I decided, I wanted to share with you what I think about everyday:
- I desire to be right with God every day, so I purposely read my Bible and pray often throughout my day.
- I want my husband and I to live for each other, love God, and do for others.
- I pray for born again believers and churches to be all they can be, in pointing people to Christ.
- I pray for my children and grandchildren to always be cared for and protected.
- I pray for our country. Wow, what a political mess. In 2008, I came across a 5×7 card that reads:
NO MATTER WHO WINS THE ELECTION:
- The Bible will still have all the answers.
- Prayer will still work.
- The Holy Spirit will still move.
- God will still inhabit the praises of His people.
- There will still be God-anointed preaching.
- There will still be singing of praise to God.
- God will still pour out blessings upon His people.
- There will still be room at the Cross.
- Jesus will still love you.
- Jesus will still save the lost when they come to Him.
ISN’T IT GREAT TO KNOW WHO IS REALLY IN CONTROL?
How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.
Search me O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalm 139: 17-18; 23-24
Life is so short and time is passing quickly. I pray that you take the time to think through your thoughts, goals, ambitions, and make sure you are focusing on God and His plan for your life.
A great friend once said, “God hears so well that He can hear your thoughts; God can see so well He can see your motives.” Dr. Keen